Health & safety
Cape Electrical and Mechanical Ltd hold a retained service with EC Safety Solutions. EC Safety Solutions collectively hold MIIOSH, MIIRSM, OHSCR, NEBOSH accreditations. Our relationship with EC Safety solutions is to ensure Cape maintain a good understanding of health and safety and compliance with current health and safety legislation.
We provide a continuous training programme to maintain the best knowledge and understanding of health and safety and hold regular in-house health and safety meetings attended by all management.
All Cape operatives are 100% CSCS training and all manager and supervisors are SMSTS or SSSTS certification.
On enrolment all operatives are registered to the Human Focus Training programme, who are in partnership with CHAS. Human Focus provide e-learning programmes such as UKATA asbestos awareness, manual handling, slips trips and falls, working at height training etc. This is so all operatives maintain the best knowledge of health and safety possible.
Where appropriate competent operatives will attend specialist safety courses to suit either an individual’s particular discipline or current project requirements.
Skilled operatives, electricians and plumbers are JIB, City and Guilds training and apprentices are trained through the JTL Scheme.
As per health and safety requirements, all accident and incidents are reported to head office. These are recorded and actions taken to prevent reoccurrence. These are reviewed at our health and safety meetings to develop Work Safe procedures to help prevent future accidents.
Cape have developed a Start Safe, Finish Safe scheme. All operatives are provided with a booklet which contains information that steps have been taken to achieve a good practice on site. These will highlight an operative have been briefed and understood RAMS, PPE, permits, access equipment, and tools in good order etc. Operatives are also encouraged to highlight any hazard which may require a control measure. All start safe finish cards are reviewed and tool box talks issued regarding any potential hazard highlighted by operatives. A £50 raffle award is presented each month to encourage continuous good practice.
Cape carries out inspection and testing where appropriate to all electrical installation. In addition, quarterly periodic inspection and testing regime has been put in place. We also carry out quality control procedures by an NIC EIC qualified person to ensure compliance. Results are records on NIC EIC approved certificates and copies sent to site for H&S files.
All plant and equipment are tested and checked at Cape’s plant depot and results are recorded prior to distribution. Plant is regularly inspected on site under maintenance and Director walkarounds.
Environmental impact is a critical issue within the construction industry and Cape takes steps to reduce that impact. We strive to continuously improve our environmental performance and cost savings are in turn passed on to our clients.
- Low energy lighting
- LED 110v strip lights – Option of built in Microwave sensor to greatly reduce energy consumption by only working while operatives in the vicinity.
- 600mm fitting to minimise clashes with other services.
- LED 110v floodlights – Option of emergency back up for safety critical areas.
- Time clock control – switching off services when not required.
- Supply and metering centres – panels and transformers separately metered where required to give accurate indication of site power usage.
- Smart metering – tracking gas, water and electric – Remote monitoring – data is processed using integral software.
- Recycling – materials are reused or recycled to minimise landfill.
- Daily delivery to sites – Cape works closely with its wholesalers to actively reduce CO2 emissions created through deliveries.